Effective leadership doesn't just happen. You have to happen into it!

Monday, May 19, 2008

The Last Mile


A few years ago, I did some work for a fibre-optic operator. In my numerous discussions with the CEO, I became familiar with a term that he often used....the last mile. In the jargon of his industry, the last mile refers to the final connectivity between the major fibre optic trunks that run the width and breath of this country (mostly along railway tracks) and the end user (homes and businesses). In this case, my client provides the last mile. So, even if a competitor manages to build enough financial strength to operate a fibre optic line, my client still holds the last piece of the jig saw without which the entire fibre optic line is useless. That's how I got to know the concept of the last mile.

This word cropped up in my mind a few days ago when I was asked to prepare a training proposal on the topic of 'Effective Complaint Management'. I have done this training numerous times before, so developing another customized one is not a problem. The problem is...I just don't think the training will work. Why? I can bet you that the last mile is not in place. First of all, why is that any organization gets lots of complaints from its customers? There must be something wrong with its business processes right? Yes. So, what is the best way to overcome that? You are absolutely right! The only way to overcome that is to improve the business processes. What can a 2-day training program do if the last mile is out of order. It will just become another training to complete the calender. Sad!

There was once when I did a similar program, I got to know the real issue which was the client's poor management of its frequent computer breakdowns and on-line service lapses (which happens to be the core of its business process). Obviously no amount of effective complaints handling strategies are going to work until they get that sorted out. They simply have to get their last mile right.

So, you can imagine the rush of excitement coming over me when one particular client came up to me and briefed me about all the internal processes and avenues available for the program participants to put in practice what I am going to train them on! Boy, was I motivated that day. That was one of the best 2-day programs ever for me and I am sure, for the participants too.

Get the last mile correct. Your investments in training and development will have better ROI.

Wishing you a Happy Wesak Day. May the wisdom of the Buddha shine your path.

No comments: